Geofencing time clocks are time clocks — however higher — and might prevent money and time.
Geofencing makes use of GPS (or comparable) in order that workers can solely test in and take a look at once they’re bodily in the precise location on the proper time.
Which means that they allow you to preserve monitor of workers even in case you’re distant, or have a big workforce in a number of areas. You may see how many individuals are on-site, forestall time theft (the place workers test in even when they haven’t arrived), and precisely calculate pay based mostly on hours.
However selecting the best device generally is a mission. There are a ton of choices on the market, every have totally different options, and a few include different instruments that you could be or might not want. Evaluating and contrasting them can really feel like a full-time job in itself.
We all know you simply wish to discover the precise device that does what you want and get again to work.
In order that’s why on this submit, we’re masking:
- The important thing options to search for in geofencing time clocks
- Our high 10 shift geofencing time clocks** (and our decide for the most effective all-in-one possibility)
- What to think about when shopping for a geofencing time clock
- And customary pitfalls to keep away from when utilizing the device, to get optimum outcomes.
Optimize your schedule and preserve your workforce in sync with Homebase.
Key options to search for in geofencing time clocks
We suggest searching for the next options when selecting a geofencing time clock device for your corporation.
- Geofencing know-how — In fact, geofencing time clocks will need to have dependable geofencing know-how inbuilt, so you may precisely monitor worker location and time. Workers can solely clock in when they’re bodily in the precise place, guaranteeing exact pay and hour calculation.
- Integration with payroll software program — Now you’ve tracked employee hours precisely, you may translate these hours to pay. A device that integrates seamlessly with payroll software program streamlines your payroll processing and helps you guarantee correct pay.
- Cell accessibility — A core a part of any geofencing device, you want your time clock to work on cell gadgets in order that workers can clock out and in from any location, with minimal problem.
- Actual-time monitoring — A part of utilizing geofencing to trace time is about seeing the place workers are at any time. You’ll wish to search for a device that permits this, to permit supervisors to observe worker hours, and monitor attendance in actual time.
- Reporting and analytics — This allows you to monitor and analyze worker time and attendance knowledge, so you may achieve larger insights into your workers’ work and habits, and precisely perceive their patterns, hours, and pay necessities.
Our high decide for geofencing time clocks in 2023 (+ the remaining ranked)
With its complete set of options designed for small companies and hourly workers, we imagine that Homebase is likely one of the finest geofencing time clock instruments on the market. It gives geofencing and has an all-in-one dashboard to handle different duties like payroll, PTO, scheduling, HR and compliance, onboarding and hiring, and workforce happiness.
However no device is ideal, and there are others out there that would work higher for your corporation, relying on what you want. Let’s have a look.
- Greatest all-in-one resolution: Homebase
- Greatest for eating places: 7shifts
- Greatest for simplicity: Once I Work
- Greatest for ease of use: Deputy
- Greatest for payroll integration: Quickbooks Time (Tsheets)
- Greatest for multiple-location companies: Sling
- Greatest for development companies: ExakTime
- Greatest for cell groups: Timesheet Cell
- Greatest for time-saving automation: Buddy Punch
- Greatest for bigger firms: Hubstaff
Comparability chart: High 10 geofencing time clock apps in 2023
A breakdown of the ten finest geofencing time clocks
1. Greatest all-in-one resolution: Homebase
Caption: Homebase’s geofencing monitoring device works on virtually all cell gadgets
Homebase is an all-in-one workforce administration and communication system that features a geofencing time clock as simply certainly one of its instruments to make time clocking, monitoring, and payroll simpler. Suitable with virtually any cell system, the time clock makes use of GPS.
It additionally sends automated alerts and messages to assist affirm that workers are the place they should be, make sure that nobody forgets to clock out, and assist managers keep away from expensive or unlawful additional time. It additionally integrates with payroll for super-streamlined funds and extra correct hourly time monitoring.
- Geofencing monitoring with GPS and images, to trace hours, breaks, additional time, and PTO.
- Cell app appropriate with iOS and Android.
- Distinctive worker PINs to make sure correct monitoring for everybody.
- Alerts for late clock-ins or forgotten clock-outs.
- Constructed-in messaging and reminders.
- Labor price monitoring, and sensible monitoring of labor vs gross sales.
- Correct timesheets and payroll integration for simple hours-worked-to-pay calculations.
- On the spot conversion of timesheets into payroll wages and correct tax funds.
Execs and cons
The geofencing time clock device integrates seamlessly right into a wider suite of helpful instruments. Customers say that it’s straightforward for workers to make use of “each day”, with a “clean design” and capabilities that are “akin to rather more costly software program.”
Nevertheless, it might provide extra instruments that you simply want in case you are searching for a easy time clock solely.
- Free. Time clock and timesheets for one location and limitless workers.
- Necessities. $20 per thirty days per location. The whole lot included within the Free plan, plus workforce communication, efficiency monitoring, and distant instruments.
- Plus. $48 per thirty days per location. The whole lot in Necessities, plus labor budgeting and PTO instruments.
- All-in-one. $80 per thirty days per location. The whole lot in Plus, in addition to new rent onboarding, and HR & compliance.
2. Greatest for eating places: 7shifts
Caption: 7Shifts makes use of a variety of instruments to make sure correct geofencing
7shifts gives a spread of highly effective instruments, and is designed for hourly workers within the restaurant trade. Its cell time-clocking functionality is included within the “schedule” a part of its platform and goals to make labor compliance and scheduling simpler, all whereas lowering the danger of time theft and pay errors.
- Geofencing and picture choices to make sure your workforce is current.
- Cell time clock app for on-the-go monitoring.
- Time clocking works even with out Wi-Fi.
- Editable punches and timesheets to make sure correct funds.
- Set guidelines like solely enabling scheduled workers to clock in, which saves on unbudgeted hours.
- Monitor breaks and PTO.
- Automated alerts for no-shows, break reminders, and additional time — to guard workers and keep away from additional bills.
- Hyperlink to payroll and timesheets for correct and straightforward pay.
- Audits and reviews for an at-a-glance overview of workers exercise.
Execs and cons
It gives a variety of highly effective instruments for workforce administration, and customers reward the “ease of use” and “streamlined reporting”, and significantly like its communication instruments.
Nevertheless, it was created for the restaurant sector, so is probably not the only option for different industries.
- Comp: Free, for one location and as much as 30 workers. Contains time clock, and scheduling.
- Entrée: $29.99 per thirty days per location, for as much as 30 workers, The whole lot from the Comp plan plus templates, budgeting, and day without work monitoring.
- The Works: $69.99 per thirty days per location, for limitless workers. The whole lot from the Entrée plan, plus payroll integration and state-based compliance instruments.
- Connoisseur: $135 per thirty days per location. The whole lot in The Works, plus onboarding, labor forecasting, and nearer assist.
7shifts additionally gives a free 14-day trial.
3. Greatest for simplicity: When I Work
Caption: Once I Work has easy workforce communication instruments to assist handle hours and PTO
Once I Work lets workers monitor time with any system, and manages when workers can or can’t tackle new shifts. It lets them request PTO, tracks shift knowledge, and automates alerts.
For managers, it lets you use timesheets to run payroll, through integrations with common payroll suppliers.
- Works on virtually any cell or desktop system.
- Connects time clocking with pay guidelines and scheduling, to make sure correct hours.
- Sends automated alerts to keep away from additional time or labor compliance legislation breaches.
- Lets workers talk and handle their very own shifts.
- Tracks and coordinates PTO, breaks, and total attendance.
- Integrates with payroll instruments.
Execs and cons
Once I Work is straightforward, with a couple of easy options that work effectively. Reviewers say that it’s “straightforward to navigate” with a “easy and chic” design, “agility”, and the power to provide workers entry to their work schedule and guidelines within the “palm of their hand.”
In distinction, it doesn’t provide as many options as some all-in-one instruments — for instance, payroll can solely be completed through an built-in, separate device.
- Normal: $4 per consumer per thirty days. Contains time and attendance instruments, and scheduling.
- Superior: $8 per consumer per thirty days. Contains superior scheduling with extra dynamic and customizable options, plus time and attendance instruments.
4. Greatest for ease of use: Deputy
Caption: Deputy has a color-coded, brilliant interface that helps make it straightforward to make use of
Deputy’s time clock app goals to make payroll as correct as doable, and in addition helps employers be sure that solely workers who’re scheduled to work achieve this. Its color-coded interface makes monitoring time straightforward, and it makes use of each GPS and facial verification to make sure location-accurate punching in.
- Hours and breaks recorded through the identical app.
- Works on a telephone, pill, or pc.
- Makes use of GPS for location stamps or touch-free face verification.
- Mechanically creates correct timesheets that managers can export simply.
- Permits labor legislation compliance and retains correct information.
- Touchless choices (voice instructions and facial recognition) for cleaner workplaces and sooner monitoring.
- Alerts workers and managers when breaks are due.
Execs and cons
It features a vary of modern options like touchless clock-ins, and is intuitive to make use of. Prospects especially like “the straightforwardness of the applying” and “how easy it is to navigate”, plus its ease in dealing with “multiple location options.”
Nevertheless, to entry all instruments together with time clocking you could be on the costlier plans.
- Starter: Free, for 100 shifts per thirty days.
- Time & Attendance: $3.50 per consumer per thirty days. Scheduling with attendance monitoring, and timesheet administration, however no automation, reporting, SMS alerts; and fewer workforce communication instruments.
- Premium: $4.90 per consumer per thirty days. All scheduling, time, attendance, and reporting instruments.
- Enterprise: Value on request. For companies with 250+ workers. The whole lot in Premium, plus customized options.
Deputy additionally gives a free 31-day trial.
5. Greatest for payroll integration: Quickbooks Time (Tsheets)
Caption: Quickbooks Time makes use of GPS as a part of its geofencing time clock instruments
From the payroll and invoicing firm of the identical title, Quickbooks Time (previously often known as Tsheets) lets managers monitor time precisely. It goals to make payroll painless and consists of dashboards designed to point out who’s working and when at a look. It additionally prioritizes correct reporting.
- Works instantly inside Quickbooks, a significant plus in case you already use that software program.
- Cell app for simple on-the-go use.
- Generates separate job and worker codes to assist make extra exact reviews.
- Makes use of GPS for geofencing monitoring.
- Displays additional time and sends customizable alerts.
- Syncs with Quickbooks and creates correct timesheets to run environment friendly payroll and invoicing.
- Presents limitless assist through chat or telephone.
Execs and cons
A significant professional is that it syncs with Quickbooks’ current highly effective software program and consists of many must-have options. Customers say that it’s “handy and straightforward to make use of”, with extra useful features like “the power so as to add notes once you clock in to simply monitor tasks,” and retains “all of our timekeeping wants in a single app.”
Nevertheless, it’s not preferrred in case you don’t use or want the remainder of Quickbooks’ software program.
- Premium. $8 per consumer per thirty days + $20 base charge per thirty days. Limitless customers.
- Elite. $10 per consumer per thirty days +$40 base charge per thirty days. Limitless customers.
6. Greatest for multiple-location companies: Sling
Caption: Sling’s time clock device works on practically any smartphone
Sling’s time clock device is a part of a wider suite of options that additionally consists of process administration, labor price monitoring, labor compliance, and workforce communication. It additionally helps you handle a number of work areas with ease and allows you to monitor and optimize labor prices.
- Works on any telephone.
- Lets employers export timesheets for simple payroll operating.
- Schedule monitoring for a number of areas from a single dashboard.
- Retains monitor of worker breaks and displays additional time.
- Crew communication instruments to make sure everybody is aware of the place they should be, and when.
- Allows you to optimize labor prices and hyperlink schedules for the most effective use of worker hours.
- Job administration to allow workers to work successfully.
Execs and cons
- Fundamental: Free. Contains shift scheduling and time-off requests, however no cell time monitoring.
- Premium: $1.70 per consumer per thirty days. The whole lot in Fundamental, plus instruments for cell time monitoring, and optimizing labor prices.
- Enterprise: $3.40 per consumer per thirty days. The whole lot in Premium, plus knowledge and reviews.
7. Greatest for development companies: ExakTime
Caption: ExakTime lets workers use their telephone to check-in, or an on-site system designed for development environments
ExakTime is a cloud-based time clock that’s designed particularly for development companies and busy staff who’re continuously on the transfer. It really works whether or not you’ve got one website or many extra, and is meant primarily to assist firms handle labor prices and monitor attendance whereas in a busy atmosphere.
- Simple clock-in and clock-out interface that makes use of “Go” and “Cease” for super-simple monitoring.
- Makes use of GPS and images for clocking in.
- Ensures worker identification with ID images.
- Syncs to the cloud and worker gadgets for safe backups.
- Works on virtually any smartphone system.
- Workers can use an app or an on-site system designed particularly for development websites.
- Integrates with payroll processors.
Execs and cons
ExakTime has a super-simple interface designed for use in busy, fast-paced environments. Customers say that the “GPS is useful” and that the payroll characteristic is dependable, “user-friendly, and environment friendly.”
In distinction, it’s designed primarily for the development trade, so is probably not preferrred for different workplaces.
- $8 per thirty days per consumer (paid yearly), plus $50/month base charge. Contains GPS, picture ID, wage monitoring, reviews, additional time alerts, and limitless US assist.
8. Greatest for cell groups: Timesheet Mobile
Caption: Timesheet Cell sends alerts to workers once they’re leaving a piece location
As its title suggests, Timesheet Cell is designed particularly for the cell workforce, and gives geofencing time monitoring together with scheduling, timesheets and reviews, workforce messaging, and alerts. It additionally lets workers handle PTO and sick days, and gives process administration checklists to make shifts extra environment friendly.
- Geofencing throughout scheduled hours.
- Timesheet reporting for fast payroll processing and labor costing.
- Drag and drop scheduling for jobs and workers, with immediate notifications
- EU working time compliance legal guidelines included in its authorized part.
- Venture checklists for process administration throughout every shift.
- Automated alerts for additional time reminders, working time violations, or late arrivals.
- Crew messaging to let workers talk, and make clear directions between websites. Help for 4 languages.
- Day off and trip schedule administration.
- Integrations with invoicing and payroll platforms.
Execs and cons
Timesheet Cell consists of EU working time compliance legal guidelines, so a very good possibility for Europe-based companies. Prospects additionally praise how it lets workers “monitor working hours remotely, which implies anytime and wherever”, extra effectively than different timesheet instruments, whereas others significantly just like the dwell chat assist.
Nevertheless, it’s primarily designed for cell workforces, so it might not work if your corporation is extra ‘on-site’.
Timesheet Cell calculates its pricing relying on the variety of workers that use it, and whether or not they clock out and in a number of occasions a day.
For instance, for 10 workers:
- Fundamentals: From $16.25 per thirty days for 3 months. Contains cell app and geofencing.
- Per Punch Plan: $48 per thirty days for 3 months. Contains Fundamentals, plus payroll integrations and additional time warnings. Not really helpful for workers who punch out and in a number of occasions per day.
- Small Enterprise: $64.80 per thirty days for 3 months. Contains Fundamentals, plus payroll integrations and additional time warnings.
- Medium Enterprise: $87 per thirty days for 3 months. Contains Fundamentals, plus payroll integrations and additional time warnings. Advisable for firms with 15 or extra workers.
After three months, Fundamentals rises to $3.49 per worker for limitless punches + $14.99 firm subscription. Per Punch rises to fifteen cents per punch + $29.99 firm subscription.
Small Enterprise rises to $9.95 per worker for limitless punches + $29.99 firm subscription. Medium Enterprise rises to $2.49 per worker for limitless punches + $149 firm subscription.
9. Greatest for time-saving automation: Buddy Punch
Caption: Buddy Punch makes it straightforward to create correct time playing cards for every worker
Buddy Punch goals to simplify monitoring, irrespective of the place workers are working. Its automation saves hours of labor in reviewing, checking, and verifying worker timesheets earlier than processing payroll. It additionally goals to create correct reviews and sheets through digital punching out and in.
- Makes use of GPS and picture monitoring.
- Works on cell and pc.
- Mechanically tracks paid and unpaid day without work and sick go away.
- Creates customizable reviews to make payroll operating simpler.
- Displays distant staff through IP addresses to make sure they’re working.
- Integrates with payroll suppliers, and gives its personal payroll processor, Buddy Punch Payroll.
- Sends notifications to customers mechanically.
- On-line chat assist.
Execs and cons
Buddy Punch is straightforward and straightforward to make use of, with images and color-coded dashboards. Prospects like “how fast it’s to punch in and punch out”, its means to “allow remote check-ins”, and the way straightforward to navigate it’s.
On the draw back, it requires additional software program Buddy Punch Payroll if you wish to run payroll on the identical platform.
- Normal: $2.99 per consumer per thirty days billed yearly (or $3.49 if billed month-to-month) +$19 base charge per thirty days, together with cell apps, GPS, payroll integrations, reporting, and break planning.
- Professional: $3.99 per consumer/month billed yearly (or $4.49 if billed month-to-month) +$19 base charge per thirty days. The whole lot in Normal, plus worker scheduling, templates, and early or late reporting.
- Enterprise: Value on request. All Professional options, plus API entry.
Buddy Punch additionally gives a free trial.
10. Greatest for bigger firms: Hubstaff
Caption: Hubstaff has a variety of instruments and gives detailed knowledge reporting
Hubstaff is a robust worker and workforce administration platform, which incorporates time monitoring as a part of its toolset. It makes use of GPS for cell geofencing, in addition to worker monitoring capabilities like screenshots and images. It additionally has payroll, invoicing, and scheduling instruments.
- GPS geofencing and customizable job websites.
- Time monitoring and reporting for correct timesheets throughout gadgets.
- Time clock app for particular shoppers and tasks.
- Job administration instruments for additional productiveness.
- Payroll monitoring and invoicing inside the identical dashboard.
- Productiveness and hourly knowledge monitoring.
- Help for agile workplaces together with dash planning and digital standups.
Execs and cons
Hubstaff is a fully-fledged, highly effective platform for bigger firms. Customers say they like the way it saves time in comparison with handbook time monitoring, and the way it improves the “efficiency of the work workforce”.
Nevertheless, it might provide extra instruments than you want, relying in your firm dimension and necessities.
- Desk Free: Free for one consumer. Embrace time monitoring and timesheets.
- Desk Starter: $5.83 per consumer per thirty days. Begins at $140. Contains two customers. The whole lot from the Free plan, plus reviews, 24-hour assist, and one integration.
- Desk Professional: $8.33 per consumer per thirty days. Begins at $200. Contains two customers. The whole lot in Starter, plus day without work instruments, venture budgets, restricted API, and expense monitoring.
- Enterprise: Value on request. The whole lot in Professional, plus extra insights, larger limits on API, concierge set-up and VIP assist, compliance instruments, and limitless job websites.
Hubstaff additionally gives a 14-day free trial.
Optimize your schedule and preserve your workforce in sync with Homebase.
What to think about when shopping for geofencing time clock software program
There’s no such factor as a single “finest” platform: all of it is dependent upon what you want. Right here’s what to consider when shopping for geofencing time clock software program, to ensure it’s proper to your workforce.
- Decide your corporation’s time and attendance monitoring wants — Think about precisely what you’re searching for relating to monitoring time. Do you’ve got a number of areas? A lot of workers? What time monitoring and payroll duties are you presently spending essentially the most money and time on?
- Analysis and examine out there choices — Evaluate and distinction choices, and make a shortlist. Any of the choices we’ve listed may work, however solely you recognize which works finest for your corporation. Evaluate options, contemplate how a lot assist you want, and take a look at your funds.
- Think about the fee and pricing choices — We don’t suggest selecting a platform based mostly on price alone; a low-priced device should still be a waste of time or cash if it doesn’t do what you want. As an alternative, contemplate worth. Take a look at how a lot money and time you possibly can save in the long term.
- Consider the software program’s buyer assist and safety measures — Buyer assist is essential when shopping for a brand new device, particularly in case you’re not fairly certain precisely tips on how to use it, or have a bigger workforce to coach. Test the assistance pages and assist choices before you purchase, for finest outcomes.
- Decide and arrange the software program — When you’ve made a shortlist, decide the most effective device and enroll. Many instruments provide a free possibility or trial, so you may take a look at if it delivers. The perfect platforms will even provide vital onboarding assist, so that you’ll by no means be left confused or caught.
Frequent pitfalls to keep away from when utilizing geofencing time clock software program
Even the most effective software program would possibly fall quick if it’s not getting used accurately. Listed here are some pitfalls to keep away from, so you will get your platform operating optimally.
- Not correctly organising worker info — Not filling in your entire workers’ info accurately can result in errors relating to monitoring time, and calculating pay. For finest outcomes, make sure that worker info is correctly arrange.
- Not frequently reviewing and updating geofencing boundaries — Conserving your boundaries updated signifies that geofencing will work correctly, and also you’ll have up-to-date information of worker areas and correct check-ins and outs.
- Not correctly coaching workers on the software program — If workers don’t know tips on how to use the time clock correctly, this can doubtless trigger main points with right monitoring. There’s a studying curve with any software program, however serving to workers use it effectively will guarantee essentially the most correct outcomes.
- Not frequently backing up knowledge — Having common backups of knowledge and digital information helps to guard your corporation in case of technical difficulties or hacking. It additionally permits you to get again in your ft simply within the uncommon occasion that your time clock know-how fails you.
Geofencing time clocks: Location is simply the beginning
Geofencing time clocks are a should for any enterprise proprietor who must preserve monitor of workers remotely, or desires to be sure that the hourly-paid wages workers obtain are as correct as doable.
Geofencing ensures that workers are the place they are saying they’re, avoids expensive and unlawful additional time, and saves you main time and stress translating hours on the bottom into correct wages (together with ideas, PTO, and breaks).
With so many transferring components, it is smart to make use of a digital, geofencing time clock to streamline the method — fairly than making an attempt to do every thing manually, or utilizing a sophisticated stack of separate instruments.
When searching for a geofencing time clock, you doubtless wish to contemplate key options together with dependable geofencing know-how, integration with payroll instruments, real-time monitoring, a cell app, and insightful reporting capabilities.
Homebase makes a speciality of providing a geofencing time clock that not solely tracks precisely and integrates with payroll (and without cost too!), but in addition connects simply with a set of different capabilities that small companies must thrive. These embody workforce communication, scheduling, hiring, HR, and workforce happiness.
So you may time clock with ease, calculate pay precisely, and save money and time on additional time and handbook scheduling too — all inside the identical platform.
Optimize your schedule and preserve your workforce in sync with Homebase.
**The data above is predicated on our analysis on geofencing time clock instruments. All consumer suggestions referenced within the textual content has been sourced from unbiased software program evaluate platforms, reminiscent of G2 and Capterra, in February 2023.